Monday, April 16, 2012

Spring Poem


Spring Observations

Green slipped out from under the white –
Splashed in early other colours,
And gave up lambs, who
Bleated tirelessly on the subject.

Screams from the nearby park
Told of newly playful children, with
Bleary fathers; clattering mothers,
Undersense befuddled by a perfume –
It was the budding blossom.

And younger men perked up at
Early bosoms once again parading –
More blossom – audacious blooms:
Sexual selection back on stage.

It was happening with the birds,
Only there was more decorum,
More order – a greater sense of purpose;
Unwitting duty.

I turned over the soil – warming
Under the cautious sun –
Yellow still nubile,
Though coping with its shyness.
My first beads of sweat were oddly ambivalent:
Surging vigour forcing out the
Stubborn winter indolence.

Inside, a warming smile worked
Up towards my mouth, lips, eyes.
The kitchen window rattled:
Lunch was ready.
By: Mark R. Slaughter

I chose this poem because it gives you all of the senses of spring. When reading it you can see the green green grass, hear the children finally playing in the park, smell the new budded flowers, and feel the warm glowing sun. I love the end talking about lunch, it reminds me on a beautiful spring day having a fresh sandwich and some lemonade, while taking in all of the smell and admiring the sights and sounds! This poem reminds me of how excited I am for spring to roll around! (: 

1 comment: